A few months ago, an acquaintance asked me if I had advice about raising a son. I think I said to just let him play in the dirt and have lots of rags on hand for clean up. Later, I thought about things some more and came up with what follows below. A lot of it is stuff I'm still trying to learn and some is stuff I wish I'd know when I had my first kid. Expect that you will be utterly overwhelmed with a newborn. Expect to get very, very little done that's visible to anyone. In truth, you will be working harder than you probably ever have before. Your body is producing nourishment for your child, as well as healing from the most Herculean effort it has ever performed. The Church in her wisdom gives you some time off from services. Take it. Embrace it. I was *barely* ready to go back to church at six weeks postpartum. I think I took a very long nap that afternoon. Think of those six weeks as the Church giving you permission to generally skip out o...
Comments